Wednesday 23 April 2014

Love Entwined on Wed 23rd April

Hi Everone, hoping you have had a Happy and Joyous Easter.
For us it was very quiet as no family here to share it with and closest friends were away.
It did however give me extra days for sewing my part 11 border and Steve was happy to let me stitch away to my heart's content.

What a journey this border has been for me, I think it has fast become my favorite so far.
This border I descibe after the beatles song Magical Mystery Tour as after completing the ovals and angels last week I wanted to start with the 4 star medallions spread along the border but while trying to decide what fabrics to use, my centre came to me.


A new fabric for my little heart flowers and centre, a fairy frost fabric so once again it has the gold overlay. Very happy with how the fabrics work so it was back to those stars and once again, NO my fabric choices wouldn't work for me. I was trying various Pink/ Mauve ideas plus my trying to use my inspiration fabrics when suddenly  my other medallion and my Angel's Legs as I call them came to me and just fell into place.


This Medallion was going to be in Purple /Blue or so I thought until LE told me what she wanted, Lol
I had been trying both the hearts and the flower's in my star medallion and found the flowers were perfect size for the border, the hearts a little small until I put them on Esther's pattern circle  for the border and then they popped out and looked great.  Only thing I did wrong, or maybe it was my Angels guiding me, I put my dark fabrics against the dark angels and the light against the light angels, opposite to what I had planned. to do while following Esther's pattern.
I decided dark burgundy circles from my berry fabric would be perfect between the pink petals and they looked like S---!!! Far too dark  for the soft pinks.
Laying on my lightbox were the hearts I had fused ready for the last little squares of my Lily Rose border and they are the same fabric I used in the center medallion, was this meant to be - they were the perfect shape and size and I love them.

So now it really is my Star Medallions and they just have to be blue, but my main blues I have used for my angels plus I don't want to use these fabrics in the medallions as they are not clear enough on my background Inspiration came from looking at my compass. I had used a very bright Turquoise Fairy Frost in the compass that I had felt was too stong for using in my center or zigzag borders, was it now time for it to reappear?


Oh WOW, I love this and my burgundy circles I didn't use made the perfect center, I can finish these tomorrow was my thought.
I know some of you think I don't sleep, I do but the next morning my first waking thought was I can't do 4 medallions in that fabric - it is sooo bright - it will take over the border. Rolled over thinking about it and 5 mins later was out of bed with the answer, Another sample of curtain fabric pinned to my sewing room wall - waiting for the right time- was it now!!!!


Yes, it was finally time to use it and the gold vase fabric I had used behind my hearts in the outer border was the perfect center. Here you can also see how the different heart from my inspiration fabric works for this partof the pattern. So how does my border look now.


Did not photograph very well but Four bright Turquoise stars would have definately been too much but the dark blue has balanced it out well - at least in my mind.
The final part of this border is my stems or angel legs and these have been another part of my mystery tour with this border. I was going to machine stitch them, then I wasn't, then I just left them till last.
This morning I tried different threads for stitching and different fabrics to applique them, finally I think I have the answer.


Not stitched yet and a little rearranging to do but after all sorts of options I am going with the new fabric I used for those wee hearts, it seems to work against both the light and dark angels.
Before I fuse the rest of the stems I really need to put this against LE and see if I have harmony.
Up on a chair and step stool to rehang my Le sideways so I can put the correct borders together, more pinholes for DH to fix later, Lol


Still only the four "legs/stems" in place but yes they need to be fabric not a machine stitch.
I know now my background fabric will work for this border, but I have to complete the next border  to give it balance. Oh well it is the reason I saved my background fabric!!!!
Cheers everyone for this week. Enjoy your Wednesday, I am.
Jenny

11 comments:

  1. I just love your border. It does the rest of your LE centre & borders justice.
    Regards
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny your colour choices and changes that you made worked out beautiful, especially the turquoise and the little hearts are great!
    Ineke (Marcelineke)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your borders look great. The quilt is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jenny,
    It is so lovely to follow your Love Entwined journey on your blog.
    Describing how you arrive at your final fabric choices is so interesting and the end result is just stunning. I bet you are very proud of the end result. It is going to be absolutely stunning.
    Hugs,
    Anne Marieke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny, I am a fellow Kiwi really enjoying watching your amazing progress on your LE. I totally get your infectious excitement when it comes to this fabulous and really busy quilt. Your colour choices are beautiful. One day I will start this but too much else on the go currently and Di Ford's Mountmellick has me captivated. Will just continue building the stash for the long list of scrappy quilts on my too do list :D Rae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny. - It is really great. - If I am going to have this coverlet ready for an October wedding - I believe it will be o.k. if I do this border with the buttonhole stitch on my Bernina. - I know you have given me this information and I will print out the email and follow your instructions. Thank you for your generosity.
    I did this sort of Applique in Esther's"In the pink" quilt. Kay in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny your quilt is just magnificent your work is just so amazing and the colours are gorgeous. Love how it is coming together.
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete