Wednesday 9 October 2013

WOW on Wed 9th Oct

Hi Everyone, No time to blog last week as my work decided that all the stores had to do manual stock takes. We had to do these before work and could not open until the day's area was done so some 5.45 am starts. This week I have spent two days attending a first Aid Course for work. Last time I did this was 15 years ago and things were quite different, much easier to retain especially the new CPR requirements.
Am very glad to have done the course as - you ever never know when or what may happen!!
I have been making slow progress with my Love Entwined. I have finished part 4 and while waiting for part 5 have been planning and trying out variations with my fussy cut fabric's
Here is where I am up to.


Only stitching has been around my berries which I am happy with although more might be added on the right and am not sure about the top flower and may change it once Esther release's part  5 as I like the shape very much. It is taking a lot of time just looking at my fabric and thinking what other part can I use to get a slightly different effect, and there are two more corners to go after this Lol.
I want to stay with my established color palette but think a little red will come into this corner, and then some very deep burgundy into the next two against my yellow vases.
All I can say is every spare minute I want to work on LE.

For those of you who follow the Quilting Gallery show and tell, I have been a guest judge the last couple of weeks and there have been truly wonderful quilts on show. Congratulations if you entered, making a decision is very hard and I don't read names those weeks.

 This week I have entered my wall hanging Whirling Stars. I think it meets the theme of Modern Geometric (solids)
"Solids" is the bit I am not so sure about but it is a tessellation pattern or unending geometric shapes.




A design by Maureen James called Whirling stars this pattern can go on forever. I did not have enough fabric for a forever quilt  in my stash, so used only a portion of the pattern. A mixture of foundation/paper  piecing and a technique I often use called appliepiecing. One edge folded under and then  a tiny zigzag stitch to secure. I cannot for some reason sew curved lines and have them lay flat.but I can applique them
I have given this wallhanging many names, It was Kaleidoscope when I exhibited it at Dargaville which is this photo. Armageddon springs to mind most often to me as it feel it is like looking at a meteor on it's way to destroy our planet. It feels to sad to call it that, when it really is an explosion of color.
I now stay with Whirling Stars as I used the central shape as my quilting template. There is black sparkled net held within the stars and stitching lines to spin them. Net also where my fabric choice was wrong in the dark stars, a quick but perfect fix.
My only purchase was the graduated yellow/orange fabric for the border. My DH helped me design the border to show the explosive forces contained within, again made with paper piecing.
Currently on our lounge wall and gets heaps of comments.
Please visit quiltinggallery.com this week and vote if you like it.
I have two more days off so will be in the garden if its fine or playing further with LE if its wet.
Cheers Everyone, Jenny



2 comments:

  1. Love those colours you used in your whirling stars, so vibrant and it glows. Your LE new Vase arrangement is going to look just as beautiful as the last one you did. Love your colours you are using here Jenny. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Entwined is shaping up to be a real beauty! I can see why you want to spend every free moment working on it! It too probably helps when the weather forces one indoors!

    ReplyDelete